- The customer wanted to provide an easy way for people to identify plants, by just uploading a photo of the fruit, leaves, or flower.
- Existing solutions made use of crowd sourcing, which could take days or even weeks. Our customer wanted users to get accurate, detailed answers instantly, without having to wait for an 'expert review' or resorting to guesswork.
- There are more than 300,000 species of plants, which necessitated collation of over 90 million images.
About the customer
The customer is a dynamic entrepreneur, and a master of several trades based in the United States who is deeply passionate about technology and nature. After obtaining a host of degrees in diverse subjects, the customer became a Serial Entrepreneur,
establishing several startups that aim to serve the planet through technology.
- The mobile app development team at Flatworld Edge first created a database of tens of thousands of plant species along with photographs to identify them, and detailed information about each species.
- Our team created an efficient and user friendly app that delivers instant results by searching in the app database.
- The app works even with low resolution pictures as long as the flower or fruit is in the center of the frame, and is clicked with the right exposure.
- If the app is unable to identify a plant, it offers options for the user to choose the best match.
The app is able to identify over 90% of known plant and tree species all over the Earth with 92% accuracy,
making it simple for anyone to identify a plant.